This post is also available in: Arabic Bahasa Indonesia Bengali Bosnian Chinese (Simplified) Creole (Pidgin English) Croatian Czech Dutch French German Hindi Italian Japanese Kazakh Korean Malay Portuguese (Brazil) Russian Serbian Sinhalese Spanish Tagalog Tamil Bahasa Sug Temne (Sierra Leone) Turkish Urdu Vietnamese
Summary of Maulana Shaykh Nazim’s daily Suhbahs
19th April 2010, Monday
The Secrets behind Prophet Adam’s (as) fall from Paradise
A’uzubillah himinash shaitan nirrajeem
Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem
Assalamu’alaikum wrh wbkt
- Mawlana began by begging for Divine assistance (madad), submitting that we are in dire need of heavenly support at all times, as we are needy ones. He then recited A’uzubillah himinash shaitan nirrajeem, seeking protection against Shaytan. Shaytan thinks of itself as the most powerful one, yet it is actually at the lowest level of all creation, none is lower than it - yet strangely, it thinks itself very powerful. (Notice that Mawlana refuses to honor Shaytan by referring to Shaytan as ‘it’, not a ‘he’).
- He then recited Bismillah-hir Rahman-nir Raheem, reminding us to recite this constantly, as it is our heavenly Sword, that will save us in this worldly life, in our graves, on the Day of Resurrection and right till Judgment Day.
- Mawlana began the day’s Suhbah, by asking attendees if they had made good profits in their businesses that day. It is the nature of Man to want to collect as much as possible of this world’s treasures (Mawlana calls it nonsense treasures), never tiring of it – Man is bent on gathering as much of dunya as possible, despite it not having any value at all. (Please refer to yesterday’s Suhbah to know more about Man’s insatiable appetite to own all of dunya.)
- Mawlana said that if these worldly treasures had any value, Allah would have sent a rain of jewels on Earth! And what if indeed Allah had caused it to rain jewels on Earth – a rain of pearls, diamonds, rubies and emeralds? He is All-Powerful, nothing is impossible for Him to do. He may command it to rain jewels in the desert tomorrow, if He so desired it. So what would you do, if He did so? asked Mawlana.
- It is a rare thing to find a person who will not like this – very rare indeed – perhaps you will find a small handful from all of Mankind, who will not be interested to run towards this rain of jewels. Imagine such a ‘rain’ falling from the heavens. Wouldn’t Mankind rush madly to collect these jewels? Ask yourself if you would just walk away or would you be filled with greed? Can you claim that you would not be tempted to take at least one jewel? Be honest with yourself, said Mawlana, for the sake of Rasulullah (saw). Would you bring huge bags in your vehicles and fill your bags and vehicles to the brim with such treasures?
- Even pious ones who see this ‘rain’, will reason with themselves, “How can I not take something from these jewels? Just some, so that I can give my wife (for she likes diamonds), and if she knew that I have passed by such jewels and took nothing from it to give her she will be so upset, and she will beat me with her stick! I am ashamed to take a lot, as I am a big aleem (and hence should not be seen taking dunya greedily)!” And when he arrives home with some diamonds, his wife would scream at him, “You are not a big aleem, you are a big Shaytan, how could you be so foolish as to take only some jewels from so many that fell? How dare you claim that you are zahid, when there is so much treasure to collect?” (A zahid is one who has no interest in dunya and views it as worthless)
- Why does Allah surround us with temptation in dunya? Read what Allah says in the Qur’an,
Be sure We shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods, lives and the fruits (of your toil), but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere. (Quran 2:155)
- Allah will test everyone, on every level, with so many things, with so many different tests! Allah says, “I am never leaving you, Oh My Servants, without tests. I am always testing you!”
Do men imagine that they will be left (at ease) because they say, We believe, and will not be tested with affliction? (Quran 29:2)
- Every human being who has achieved mental maturity (baligh), will be subjected to endless tests – no one is exempted – these Ayahs of the Qur’an encompasses all humans, regardless of which sect of Islam they follow – all Salafis, Sunnis and Shites are included in these Ayahs. Why are the learned ones, no longer preaching about this to their followers – that Allah is always observing His servants, and sending down tests upon them moment after moment, trying them?
- In this dunya, Allah has commanded some of Mankind to look after a beehive, to guard the sweet honey, but not to eat it. That is the amanah - a trust / responsibility – placed on Man’s shoulders. Along comes Shaytan, and he will ask, “What are you doing here?” To which the man answers, “I am guarding the honey in this hive.” Shaytan then asks, “Have you tasted the honey?” To which the man replies, “I am forbidden to taste it, Allah has commanded me to guard it.” Shaytan then says, “Look, you aren’t allowed to eat it – that is true – but, surely, you can take a tiny portion for tasting on your tongue.” Shaytan takes a tiny bit of honey, despite the man’s protests that it is an amanah that is not to be touched, and tastes it. “That’s not really eating it, I am merely tasting it!” Shaytan says. The man refuses to obey Shaytan, but Shaytan stays there, refusing to leave, and he sets his trap. Shaytan then takes another small portion, places it in its tongue, and then it says, “See, nothing happened to me. Now you try.” Shaytan remains with Man, tempting him continuously, until he finally gives in, because he forgets that this companion of his, is the accursed Shaytan, and he succumbs to the evil suggestion and puts a tiny drop of the forbidden honey on his tongue! Shaytan works relentlessly, day and night, to convince Man to take the forbidden honey.
- Learned ones must teach this to all humans, for we are creatures that originated from Paradise, and it is this tiny drop of forbidden tasting – that occurred due to Shaytan’s treachery – that caused Man to fall from grace. Preachers should tell their flocks, “Oh Mankind, you originated from Paradise! But what happened? Why were you thrown out of Paradise?” Why is the story of Sayyidina Adam (as) and Sayyidatina Hawwa (as) not told to them?
- Allah created Man and clothed him in dressings of honor, raising him to the esteemed position of Khaleefah.
And when thy Lord said unto the angels: Lo! I am about to place a viceroy in the Earth. (Quran 2:30)
- Allah created Adam (as) with His Own Blessed Hands and raised him to the highest rank in all of creation! Does Allah Jalla Jallaluhu, have Hands? Indeed He does, for how is it possible that He creates Man with hands, whilst He Himself has no hands? He who bestows endlessly upon us – the pleasures of food, drinks, relationships – He gives and gives without stint – how can He send all this to us, if He has no hands, asked Mawlana? We must know that Allah has Hands, though we cannot understand what the Hands of His Real Being, because His Reality is nothing that we can begin to understand using our mediocre minds, for verily,
There is nothing (in creation) that has any similarities to Him. (Quran 42:11)
- Because Sayyidina Adam (as) and Sayyidatina Hawwa (as) had been dressed in the glorious and honorable dressings of Khaleefah, Allah did not place them in dunya – for dunya was not a place befitting those who had such high rank and honor. Dunya was a place of troubles – dirtiness, suffering, and evil-doing. So He created them in Paradise, and placed them in Paradise, a Maqam (station) befitting their noble creation and status, befitting their high rank.
- Then what happened, asked Mawlana? They were tested! Why? Allah wanted to give Sayyidina Adam (as) and Sayyidatina Hawwa (as), higher Stations of honor in Paradises! But at the very first test/hurdle, Sayyidina Adam (as) and Sayyidatina Hawwa (as) failed and fell, and were banished to dunya.
- Allah had commanded them as follows: “Everything in Paradise is yours, except this tree. If you approach it, you are one who oppresses himself. I am your Lord, and you are My servant, I have My right to test you, and every test is a reason which can either raise you higher, or drop you lower.”
And O Adam! Dwell you and your wife in Paradise, and eat thereof as you both wish, but approach not this tree otherwise you both will be of the Zholimun (unjust and wrong-doers). (Quran 7:19)
- Shaytan then whispered to them, “Do not eat the fruit – that is forbidden – but surely, you can taste a little of it on your tongues?” Sayyidina Adam (as) and Sayyidatina Hawwa (as) heeded this evil suggestion, and no sooner had they tasted the fruit on their tongues, the heavenly rains of honor that had been showering them incessantly was cut off immediately. Their robes of honor fell from them, and they were left standing naked in the Garden.
Then Shaytan (Satan) whispered suggestions to them both in order to uncover that which was hidden from them of their private parts (before); he said: “Your Lord did not forbid you this tree save that you should become angels or become of the immortals.” And he [Shaytan (Satan)] swore by Allah to them both (saying): “Verily, I am one of the sincere well-wishers for you both.” So he misled them with deception. Then when they tasted of the tree, that which was hidden from them of their shame (private parts) became manifest to them and they began to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise (in order to cover their shame). And their Lord called out to them (saying): “Did I not forbid you that tree and tell you: Verily, Shaytan (Satan) is an open enemy unto you?” They said: “Our Lord! We have wronged ourselves. If You forgive us not, and bestow not upon us Your Mercy, we shall certainly be of the losers.” (Quran 7:20-23)
- The Holy Qur’an is not a storybook, it is a Holy Book filled with endless Wisdoms. Allah is teaching us via this story above not to chase dunya, but to seek heavenly grants; we should not lower ourselves, to seek dunya. Mawlana said that this advice is targeted at all the People of the Divine Holy Books (Zabur, Taurat, Injeel, Qur’an), to strike out in them the Shaytanic aspects within them. Look, listen and accept this advice, said Mawlana!
To summarize today’s suhbah:
Why were you originally from Paradise?
You were dressed in robes of honor, as Man was created as Allah’s Khaleefah and He honored Man by creating him with His Own Hands. With such dressings of honor, Man could not be placed in this dirty dunya. He was then placed where honorable people are placed – in Paradise.
Why does Allah test us constantly?
In order to give us a chance to attain more from Him, higher Stations and greater nearness to Him (but if we follow Shaytan, we shall fall like him)
How does Shaytan lay traps, to cause Man to fall?
By drawing us close to a sin, and convincing us that it is not really a sin if we take just a teeny-weenie bit of it, a minutest part of it.
What causes Man to fall into this trap of Shaytan’s, eventually?
Love of dunya – it is the beginning of all sin. Leave dunya, and seek Him – seek His Pleasure, seek servanthood to Him – that is the beginning of all goodness.
Why was Adam and Hawwa sent to dunya?
Once they were stripped of their noble and honorable dressings, they could no longer stay in Paradise, which was created to house honored ones. Once they had been stripped naked, they had to descend to dunya, for it is in dunya that Man’s true nature is laid bare, so that he can see his shame and dirtiness. When he understands this, he will strive to return to where he originated from – Paradise – by covering himself with Divine dressings of honor once again. (see Mawlana’s lesson on 17/04/10 about how to attain such dressings).
“Oh Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts) and as an adornment, and the raiment of righteousness, that is better. Such are among the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allah, that they may remember (i.e. leave falsehood and follow truth). Oh Children of Adam! Let not Shaytan (Satan) deceive you, as he got your parents [Adam and Hawwa (Eve)] out of Paradise, stripping them of their raiments, to show them their private parts. Verily, he and his soldiers (from the jinn or his tribe) see you from where you cannot see them. Verily, We made the Shaytan (devils) protectors and helpers for those who believe not.” (Quran 7: 26-27)